B.C. Employer Training Grant
What's new? ̶ We've made some changes, including increased support for forest sector workers. Learn more.
WHAT IS THE B.C. EMPLOYER TRAINING GRANT PROGRAM?
The Province of British Columbia is committed to building a strong economy. A skilled workforce is essential for strong, sustainable and balanced growth. Building an agile and resilient workforce—one with the right mix of skills to respond to the evolving demands of the labour market—provides B.C. enterprises with a strategic competitive advantage for productivity and innovation.
For individual British Columbians, skills development increases participation in the labour market and provides a key to adapting to the changing world of work.
Receive up to $300,000 for Skills Training
The B.C. Employer Training Grant provides funding to small, medium and large enterprises to support skills training for their workforces, including prospective new hires.
The intent of this program is to help British Columbians access the skills training required to adapt to the labour market’s changing job requirements, while also encouraging employer involvement in skills training.
The Employer Training Grant helps employers pay for training, which in turn helps employees experience increased job security or move into better jobs.
Employers can apply as often as they need and receive 80% of the cost of training up to $10,000 per employee, with a maximum annual amount per employer of $300,000.
Steps to Receiving a Grant
- Create a Business BCeID account. This provides secure electronic access to online government services
- Identify who needs training and pick a training provider
- Use the Business BCeID account to apply online through the ETG’s Skills Training Grants System*
- Receive decision
- Pay for and begin training
- Submit a reimbursement claim
*Important: Please apply early to help ensure you receive a decision on your application before the training start date. Most applicants will receive a decision on their application in two weeks. Training may begin before an employer receives a decision. If training begins and the application is denied, the employer will be responsible for all costs.
- Training must result in increased job security or a better job* for a current employee** once training is completed, or a job for an unemployed person.
- The Province will reimburse employers 80% of eligible training costs. The employer must contribute the remaining 20%.
- Employers are eligible to receive up to $10,000 per participant and up to $300,000 per fiscal year (April 1 – March 31).
- At the time of application, participants must be unemployed, or employed by the applicant employer**.
- Employers must submit their application on their own behalf, using their Business BCeID. Third parties cannot apply on an employer’s behalf.
- Participants must submit their own Participant Information Forms before an application can be submitted. Employers cannot submit these on an employee’s behalf.
- If approved, employers (not participants) are to pay for all costs in full and, after training has started, submit a reimbursement claim within 30 days.
- Employee participants must be Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or protected persons under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada). Temporary foreign workers, international students, or other temporary residents are ineligible.
- Training cannot be longer than 52 weeks in length. Note that the ETG does not fund diploma or degree programs, in full or in part.
*A “better job” is defined as:
- Increased pay
- Promotion or advancement to another position
- Move from part-time to full-time employment
- Move from temporary/casual/seasonal employment to permanent employment
** For employers looking to hire workers that have been directly or indirectly impacted by a downturn in the forest sector, the ETG may support training for participants employed by another employer at the time of application.
Please review the complete program Eligibility Criteria before applying.
Priority is given to first-time applicants, small businesses, and applicants from regions and industries experiencing the greatest challenges acquiring skilled workers. Learn more about B.C.'s labour market and industries.